commons-user mailing list archives

From Rafael Leite - Baltus Sistemas Ltda <le...@baltus.com.br>
Subject [DBCP] Initial size doesn't work on DBCP 1.2.2
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:35:05 GMT
Hey,

I'm trying to configure DBCP so it create 10 connections when the
application is started, but i can't get it to work.

When the first user tries to log into the application, the 10 initial
connections are created. If i comment the "initialSize" parameter out,
the behaviour is the same.

I even created a servlet to ask for a hibernate session. When it is
started and ask for a session it seems the datasource "awakes" and
created the 10 initial connections.

These are the parameters passed to the DBCP through Tomcat's resource:

    <Resource name="jdbc/mmw" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource" />
    <ResourceParams name="jdbc/mmw">
      <parameter>
       <name>factory</name>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>username</name>
       <value>user</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>password</name>
       <value>pwd</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>driverClassName</name>
       <value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>url</name>
       <value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mmw?autoReconnect=true</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>maxActive</name>
       <value>30</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>maxIdle</name>
       <value>30</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>minIdle</name>
       <value>10</value>
      </parameter>

      <!-- DOESN'T WORK - start -->
      <parameter>
       <name>initialSize</name>
       <value>10</value>
      </parameter>
      <!-- DOESN'T WORK - end -->

      <parameter>
       <name>maxWait</name>
       <value>3000</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>whenExhaustedAction</name>
       <value>1</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>testOnBorrow</name>
       <value>true</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>testOnReturn</name>
       <value>false</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>validationQuery</name>
       <value>SELECT 1</value>
      </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>testWhileIdle</name>
      <value>true</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis</name>
      <value>8000</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>minEvictableIdleTimeMillis</name>
      <value>20000</value>
    </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>removeAbandoned</name>
       <value>true</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>removeAbandonedTimeout</name>
       <value>60</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
       <name>logAbandonedTimeout</name>
       <value>true</value>
      </parameter>
    </ResourceParams>

The environment is:

Windows XP, jsdk1.4.2_07, Tomcat 5.0.28, commons-dbcp-1.2.2,
commons-pool-1.3, hibernate 2.1.7c, mysql-connector-java-5.0.5, MySQL 5.1.11

Am i doing something wrong or there really is a problem with DBCP's
"initialSize"?

Thank you for your time!

Rafael Leite