commons-user mailing list archives

From Tom Muldoon <...@firstbest.com>
Subject [Pool] Looking for best approach to seed GenericObjectPool
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 20:57:45 GMT
I'm using Commons Pool 1.3 and I'm looking for the best approach to
seed, or initialize, a GenericObjectPool instance during application
server (JBoss) startup.  It appears to me that setting minIdle alone
will not do the trick. Apparently, I need to set
timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis (to a positive integer) since the Evictor
thread will not start immediately (and it is the Evictor thread that
will ultimately ensure minIdle instances reside in the pool). But herein
lies the rub. I don't want to set the timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis to
be less than 30 minutes and I don't want to wait until 30 minutes has
passed before the pool is seeded. I have implemented a
GenericObjectPool  subclass and I am considering invoking startEvictor
with a relatively small delay to seed the pool followed by a call to
setTimeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis (when the subclass is instantiated) but
that feels like a hack. So, anyone have a better way?

Thanks in advance,

Tom