commons-user mailing list archives

From "Artamonov, Juri" <>
Subject RE: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError - IOUtils.copy - When file size larger than 7 MB
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 07:19:56 GMT

This is how I fixed uploading big files in Cargo. Perhaps this is what
you are looking for.

            // When trying to upload large amount of data the internal
connection buffer can become
            // too large and exceed the heap size, leading to a
            // This was fixed in JDK 1.5 by introducing a new
setChunkedStreamingMode() method.
            // As Cargo should also work with JDK versions lesser than
1.5 we use reflection to call
            // setChunkedStreamingMode(). If it fails, we assume we're
running an older version of
            // the JDK. In that case the solution for the user is to
increase it's heap size.
            // For reference, see the following discussions about this:
                    new Class[] {Integer.TYPE}).invoke(connection, new
Object[] {new Integer(0)});
            catch (Exception e)
                // We assume we're on an older JDK version, do nothing.
                getLogger().debug("Not calling setChunkedStreamingMode()
method as JVM ["
                    + System.getProperty("java.version") + "] doesn't
support it.",

Best regards,