commons-user mailing list archives

From "Strachan, Paul" <Paul.Strac...@det.nsw.edu.au>
Subject [VALIDATOR] property order using extends attribute
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:57:30 GMT
Hi,

using validator 1.2.0 and struts 1.2.9 is there any way to control the order of validation
error messages output on the screen?

for example:

<form name="MyForm">
  <field property="firstName" depends="required">
    <arg key="firstName.label" resource="true"/>
  </field>
  <field property="lastName" depends="required">
    <arg key="lastName.label" resource="true"/>
  </field>
  <field property="dateOfBirth" depends="date">
    <arg key="dateOfBirth.label" resource="true"/>
  </field>
</form>

This example displays:
o First name is required
o Last name is Required
o Date of Birth is invalid

Now if I change the validation as follows:

<form name="MyForm_fatal">
  <field property="dateOfBirth" depends="date">
    <arg key="dateOfBirth.label" resource="true"/>
  </field>
</form>

<form name="MyForm" extends="MyForm_fatal">
  <field property="firstName" depends="required">
    <arg key="firstName.label" resource="true"/>
  </field>
  <field property="lastName" depends="required">
    <arg key="lastName.label" resource="true"/>
  </field>
</form>

When I validate against "MyForm" it displays:
o Date of Birth is invalid
o First name is required
o Last name is Required

Is it possible to control the order so that the date of birth message is displayed after the
last name. Possibly an optional attribute (int) on the <field> element ?

Thanks,

Paul