commons-user mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <>
Subject Re: pool - cleaning up resources on JVM exit
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:29:53 GMT
When the JVM crashes there is no cleaning up, the JVM just exits and
the OS will clean up what it can. Pool cannot recover from a JVM

When the JVM exits there will be a bit more clean up. Whether or not
it's a full clean up or something else will depend on your use of the
shutdown handlers. Pool does not use shutdown handlers.

If a borrowed object isn't returned to the pool and "lost" the JVM's
garbage collector should take care of it.
PoolableObjectFactory.destroyObject won't get a chance to clean up
that object.

If you want a way to clean up after an object instance is garbage
collected you should look into ReferenceQueue and taking clean up
action when an instance is no more.

On 3/30/07, Conrad CRAMPTON PSE 52704
<> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there anyway of clearing up resources from a GenericObjectPool when
> the JMV closes (crashes)? I have objects that maintain a connection to a
> service that need to be closed when the web server is restarted or
> crashes.
> Also, if an object is borrowed from the pool and isn't returned because
> of interruption in the web application flow or some other reason, does
> it get 'swept up' by the evictor thread eventually or is there some
> other way of returning this to the pool or simply just destroying it for
> it to be recreated in the pool when necessary?
> Thanks for your consideration
> Conrad

Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine