commons-user mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VALIDATOR] property order using extends attribute
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:52:01 GMT
On 3/9/07, Strachan, Paul <Paul.Strachan@det.nsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll take a look at v1.3.1 - but ideally I should not have to hard-code property names
for separate forms in my layout.jsp.

1.3.1 doesn't help with your issue - just an additional suggestion :-)

> Can I declare an empty stub just for positioning purposes?
> e.g.
>  <field property="dateOfBirth" depends=""/>
>
> If not I guess I'll just remove the "extends" for this use-case and go back to defining
duplicate field validations.

Sorry - I've only just realized that your issue relates to the order
when you're extending one form from another. You can define empty
validations - but they get overriden by the form that "extends".
Theres an example of this in the struts-examples webapp shipped with
Struts 1.3.5 - if you look at the "double" field in the "baseTypeForm"
it has no validation defined - "typeForm" and "jsTypeForm" both extend
 "baseTypeForm" - but only "typeForm" overrides the "double"
validation - adding actual rules:

http://tinyurl.com/2zaow2

Niall

> Thanks
> Paul
>

> ________________________________

validation error messages output on the screen?

> I would recommend upgrading to the latest Validator 1.3.1 release -
> its compatible with Struts 1.2.9 and has a number of bug fixes:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/changes-report.html
>
> > for example:
> >
> > <form name="MyForm">
> >   <field property="firstName" depends="required">
> >     <arg key="firstName.label" resource="true"/>
> >   </field>
> >   <field property="lastName" depends="required">
> >     <arg key="lastName.label" resource="true"/>
> >   </field>
> >   <field property="dateOfBirth" depends="date">
> >     <arg key="dateOfBirth.label" resource="true"/>
> >   </field>
> > </form>
> >
> > This example displays:
> > o First name is required
> > o Last name is Required
> > o Date of Birth is invalid
> >

> > Now if I change the validation as follows:
> >
> > <form name="MyForm_fatal">
> >   <field property="dateOfBirth" depends="date">
> >     <arg key="dateOfBirth.label" resource="true"/>
> >   </field>
> > </form>
> >
> > <form name="MyForm" extends="MyForm_fatal">
> >   <field property="firstName" depends="required">
> >     <arg key="firstName.label" resource="true"/>
> >   </field>
> >   <field property="lastName" depends="required">
> >     <arg key="lastName.label" resource="true"/>
> >   </field>
> > </form>
> >
> > When I validate against "MyForm" it displays:
> > o Date of Birth is invalid
> > o First name is required
> > o Last name is Required
> >
> > Is it possible to control the order so that the date of birth message is displayed
after the last name. Possibly an optional attribute (int) on the <field> element ?