commons-user mailing list archives

From Antoni Mylka <antoni.my...@dfki.uni-kl.de>
Subject [VFS] Standardization of the URI conventions.
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:56:03 GMT
A question to Apache Virtual File System users and developers.

I'm working on a filesystem ontology for the Nepomuk Semantic Desktop EU
Project. I want to define a generic File class. It should apply to files
on a harddisk, on the network and inside archive files. As far as I know
there is no standard way to build URL's for files inside compressed
archives.

The goal is to have a single knowledge base where every file has a
single URL and make it available to applications in all lanugages on all
platforms regardless of whether it is in /home or C:\ or inside a jar
file packed into a zip and stored on some obscure sftp server.

Your solution (i.e.
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/vfs/filesystems.html) is great, but i
have some questions.

Are there any standards or widely accepted conventions (apart from URI
RFC) you relied on? (I mean accessing files inside archives by
compressionprefix : arch-file-uri [! absolute-path] - is it your idea or
is it standarized somewhere).

Are you aware of any projects implementing a similar idea in other
languages (C++ or C#).

TIA

Antoni Mylka
antoni.mylka@dfki.de