commons-user mailing list archives

From Michael Thomson <mich...@canb.auug.org.au>
Subject Question About larger than memory multithreaded sort?
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2007 01:34:09 GMT
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum but I thought I would ask as I  am
sure other people have run into this similar "common" problem.

I have to sort some data that the combined sort keys are larger than memory.

I have written a general routine that  in core sorts what it can  and
then merge/sorts the resultant sorted files.  It seems to work pretty
well but  now I am thinking I want to take advantage of all the other
processors on the executing machines.

This is not a new problem and it seems strange that I cannot seem to
find any existing implementations?  Am I looking in the wrong place or
does this not exist?

Any one know where I should be looking?

Thanks in advance
Michael.