commons-user mailing list archives

From "Bindul Bhowmik" <bindulbhow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [HTTPClient] Header parser
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:47:36 GMT
Kedar,

On 2/3/07, Kedar Panse <kedar@bancbridge.com> wrote:
> Hello guys!
>

> I have been using HTTPClient for quite a while, thanks to you guys work!
> Recently I came across a site, which I believe is returning bad headers.
> HTTPClient seems to choke on
>

> Set-Cookie: user-cookie=xxxx; path=/; domain=.xxx.com; secure HTTP/1.0 200

The HTTP/1.0 200 is the status line of the HTTP response and is
supposed to be the first line in the response [1]. HttpClient is
trying to parse that field as a name value HTTP Header.

Also, not evident in the email, I think there is a new line character
between secure and HTTP in that line.

> content-type: text/html
>

> Exception I get is:
>

> WARNING: org.apache.commons.httpclient.ProtocolException: Unable to parse
> header: HTTP/1.0 200
>

> Is this a valid header for cookie?  Firefox/IE seem to get past it easy.  Is
> there any way to get around this?

The way to get around this is to modify the HttpClient source. More
specifically you need to modify the
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpParser#readLine(InputStream, String)
method and can make it lenient and ask it to ignore any lines that
dont follow the standard 'header-name: header-value' pattern. You can
modify the source and rebuild your own jar.

I don't know your entire response, but if HttpClient has reached the
state where it is parsing the headers, I assume the server has already
sent a status line as the first line of response.

> Regards,
>

> Kedar

Hope this helps,

Regards,