commons-user mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [validator] locale aware validator scripts required
Date Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:00:12 GMT
On 2/15/07, Hasan Turksoy <hturksoy@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i've looked through issues but got no result...
>
> does anybody has locale related issues about validator javascripts?
> when the locale is EN: thousand seperator="," ,  decimal seperator='.'
> (like: 123,45.67)
>  when the locale is TR(my case): thousand seperator="." ,  decimal
> seperator=',' (like: 123.45,67)
>
> as far as i can see, validator javascripts written for EN locale in mind..
> so, validator scripts are not working properly for my situation...
>
> for example, for the above value, validateFloat will split my number after
> 123..
>
> as a workaround solution; i changed ValidatorScript.java(of shale.jar).. it
> assigns current locale's decimal and thousand seperator into two global
> javascript variables..
> resolting code is like below:
> var localeSpecificThousandSeperator = '.';
> var localeSpecificDecimalSeperator = ',';
>
> and validators those want to validate seperator related values can use these
> variables...
>
> example validateFloat implementation code will then be like:
> var tempArray = value.split(*localeSpecificDecimalSeperator*);
> instead of
>  var tempArray = value.split(*'.'*);
>
> are there any other solutions exist? other suggestions? or can i use some
> attributes of commons-validator components to overcome this issue..?

Unfortunately there isn't a solution in Commons Validator for this -
the JavaScript implementations are not Locale aware. Its something
that would be good to do - the best way to keep it on the radar is to
file a Jira ticket for it:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/issue-tracking.html

Niall