commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject flexible byte-stream storage? [vfs] [cache] ??
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:36:49 GMT

hello List,

maybe this should be directed to some other list... I am in the quest of
a library to store, key-based, byte-streams of very varying sizes in
large quantities. I need to read and write, multithreaded, and I have
big and small byte-streams, from 50 bytes till 3 mega-bytes.

Files work, of course, but there are very many small fragments there,
like 100 bytes or so. This is the solution I am using, I have a
directory of about 27000 files right now... berk.

I only had bad experience with SQL blobs... so let's avoid them for now.

Can anyone suggest me something else ?

_ I was using Lucene for it for a while but the version 2.0 removed
streams writing (although they still support
non-indexed-non-tokenized-pieces)

- I was hoping vfs to provide this but that doesn't really do well for
read-write except with... files!

- The closest I can see seems to be cache's FileStash but this does not
seem to be the original usage.

Thanks in advance for better suggestions.

paul