commons-user mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Frech <Wolfgang.Fr...@iteratec.de>
Subject [SCXML] initialstate required in external sub-state?
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:01:14 GMT
Hi SCXML team and users!

I started to play around with Commons SCXML, and stumbled over an
inconsistent example in the working draft.
On the one hand, the initialstate attribute of the scxml element is
required (see attribute detail list of the scxml element).
On the other hand, the example for an externally defined state
(Test2Sub1.scxml) in Section F.1 does not have an initialstate attribute.

Logically, the initialstate attribute is not needed in an external state
definition, because the one and only state that is extracted into the
file is entered, when the remaining state stub in the including state
chart is entered.

As I read the spec, the example in the WD is in error relative to the
normative part.
As I understand the spec, the semantics of the initialstate  attribute
for external states is not clear, at least for me.
As I understand my experiments, Commons SCXML treats the initialstate
attribute as required, following the WD.

What I do not understand: What semantics implemented?

The error message for leaving out initialstate suggests:
- the initialstate must be either the (extracted) parent state or a
substate of it.
- the initialstate attribute is evaluated.
Is this correct?

But: what if there is an initial child in the extracted state?
Which takes precedence: a transition in initial, or the initialstate
attribute?

Thanks for your help
Wolfgang

--