commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [configure] - context.xml vs Tomcat Admin
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:49:13 GMT
On 1/22/07, Garth Keesler <garthk@gdcjk.com> wrote:

> So, if I read you right, I need to do one or the other but not both and
> either one does pretty much the same thing. It also appears that doing
> it in the Admin page does it for all Axis web services, right?

You are correct about "one or the other but not both."  So why two
approaches?

* Using context.xml makes it easier to deploy a self contained
  webapp that configures its own resources.

* Using the server admin lets you take the same web application
  and deploy it *unmodified* in different environments where you really
  want to connect to different services (such as a testing server, a
  staging server, and a production server).

The same general principles apply to things like configuring JDBC data
sources, EJBs, and pretty much anything else you can look up via JNDI.

Craig