commons-user mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons-logging 1.1 POM: why isn't servlet-api scope=provided ?
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:54:11 GMT
Hola,

> That's a good step, but it's not sufficient for this case and does
> > not provide the same functionality as add scope="provided."
>

> Why?  The part of C-L that depends on the servlet API is indeed optional,

That's my bad wording.  Declaring the dependency as optional would
actually be sufficient for my use-case.  However, as the Maven doc
notes (http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-optional-and-excludes-dependencies.html),
optional dependencies are a stop-gap measure.  I think the
scope="provided" is a bit cleaner and has clearer semantics to users.

Either way, it looks like this is being addressed or will be shortly:
thanks for the quick responses.  Now I just have to wait for the next
JCL release ;)  Actually, if it's as simple as just packaging and
updating the web site, I guess I could do it myself.

Yoav