commons-user mailing list archives

From "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>
Subject Re: Weird serialization error with NestableDelegate
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:26:08 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 1/25/07, David J. M. Karlsen <david@davidkarlsen.com> wrote:
>> I'm calling an EJB on a WebSphere 5.0.2.x server from a WebSphere 6.1,
>> which is throwing (serverside) an Exception which is extending
>> NestableRuntimeException.
>> I'm using commons-lang 2.1 on both sides.
>>
>> All Serializable classes involved (in my app) declare serializationUID
>> constants.
>>
>> Still, I get this serialization error:
>>
>> org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge :
>> Mismatched serialization UIDs : Source (RepId
>> RMI:org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableDelegate:4F998DA78EFC2530:EAEF728564560A6A)

>> = EAEF728564560A6A whereas Target (RepId
>> RMI:org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableDelegate:4F998DA78EFC2530:F68F1455DDEE96BB)

>> = F68F1455DDEE96BB  vmcid: IBM  minor code: 89A  completed: No
>>         at
>> com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.read_value(CDRInputStream.java:2105)
>>
>> I've checked the websphere environment - and it does not seem to include
>> any of the commons-lang classes.
>>
>> Have anybody else experienced this?
>
> Just this issue a couple of days ago:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBUTILS-36
>
> "For instance, IBM JVM 1.4.1 has a different way of calculating
> serialVersionUID for Serializable class that does not have
> serialVersionUID defined than JVM 5.0."
>
> Do you have different VMs at each end?
Yes - this is the underlying problem - as the computed (due to no
explicit serial uid defined) serializationID on both sides differ.

The solutions are:

1) Deploy the applications on the same JDK level (thus computing the
same serial uid)
2) Upgrade to commons-lang 2.2 which declares serial uids (at least for
these classes/what hits me - haven't checked all).

I'll guess 2) will break compability with clients using commons lang <
2.2, but when the upgrade is complete the problem should disappear "for
ever" (until possible changes will force a change of serial uid, which
is probably not likely in the 2.x series).

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com