commons-user mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jbre...@wi.rr.com>
Subject Re: [configure] - context.xml vs Tomcat Admin
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 02:04:24 GMT
My experience is that having one artifact that will work on any
deployment lets you focus on the project, not the configuration.  We now
have a testing, beta, and production tomcat setup, each once setup with
the correct jndi properties for our application ( we use
commons-configuration ) at each level.  This way, we produce one
artifact ( war ) that can be deployed to all environments.

If your build system uses ant or maven to generate configuration, then
if your configuration changes, you need to rebuild/deploy those changes.
  In our case, that was too slow.

Using commons-configuration, we use property files in our war as
defaults, then any container may redefine or define any property
specific to the container we've deployed into ( like beta,test, or
production ).  We've used this setup with just settings  ( string, ints,
etc ) or jdbc connection pools/resources.