commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] Why is jcifs/smb not part of 1.0/core?
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:27:20 GMT
Hi!
> I would like know something about the technical reasons, that jcifs/smb
> filesystem is not part of core/version 1.0. Was the smb part not ready to be
> released as "1.0"? So far I did not encounter bugs when using it...

No, sorry, I used the term "technical reasons" to not make it public
that we had a license incompatibility.
Now they are sorted out, the problem was that ASF and LGPL are not
compatible.
We found a way how to deal with it and so JCIFS/SMB will find its way
back to the core.

> I would also like to know whether
> there are more differences between VFS1.0 and sandbox, besides of
> webdav/jcifs (for example, does sandbox contain some more experimental
> parts, can it contain more bugs,...).

Currently the sandbox is just a container for other filesystem
implementations, so it should be possible to safely use the sandbox
without any influence for vfs core.
Beside SMB and WEBDAV we now have a MIME filesystem which allows you to
read e-mail messages like a filesystem.

Ciao,
Mario