commons-user mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stability of HttpComponent
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:47:13 GMT
On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 17:28 +0000, sebb wrote:
> Best to ask on the httpclient-user mailing list ...
>
> On 09/01/07, David J. M. Karlsen <david@davidkarlsen.com> wrote:
> > hi!
> >
> > How stable/mature is httpComponents? YES - I do know it's alpha - but is
> > it really rotten or quite stable? Only need a HTTP-client - and my
> > choice is between newer components and commons-httpclient.
> >
> > David

Actually, httpcomponents-dev would have been the right place to ask.

We are still not ready to freeze the API of HttpComponents Core (the set
of low level generic HTTP primitives) and are in the very early state of
development with HttpClient 4.0, which will be based on HttpCore.

I would not recommend using HttpCore at this point _unless_
(1) you need a consistent set of components on the client and the server
side (for instance, when developing a proxy of some sort)
(2) need NIO (non-blocking I/O)
(3) prepared to trade the API stability for 30-50% performance increase
compared to Commons HttpClient

Hope this helps,

Oleg