commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons Logging - FileAppender Issue
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:44:34 GMT
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 10:22 +0100, DECAFFMEYER MATHIEU wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Log4j to manage log, I want to convert this by Commons
> Logging by
> converting just this line :
> private static Logger sLogger =
> Logger.getLogger(LoggingManager.class);
> by this one :
> private static Log sLogger = LogFactory.getLog(LoggingManager.class);
> This is the only thing to do, right ?

Yep, those are all the code changes you need, and in most cases there
are no config file changes needed either.

The only case where you may need to do more are where the code is
running inside a j2ee container or similar, and there are multiple
copies of various logging libraries floating around.

> Now I have a problem : logs aren't stored in files anymore.
> Why doesn't it store anymore since I replaced this line to use Commons
> Logging ?

At a guess, there are multiple copies of log4j in your classpath, and
commons-logging is finding one that does not have access to your log4j
configuration file.

Enable commons-logging diagnostic output and see what log4j jarfile is
being detected by commons-logging.

Regards,

Simon