commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Chain]: Frameworks and Products using chain api
Date Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:40:14 GMT
> On 12/20/06, Virender Singh <virendersingh7@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am analysing commons-chain for use in our framework. Are there any
> > frameworks/products that are using commons-chain api? I have heard of
> > struts-chain. I do not have any idea as to how much is it in use? The list
> > of products would help in convincing the team to use the api and that it
> > is
> > not another framework on which some work was done and then left in
> > oblivion.

<snip-struts-and-shale-usecases/>

> Chain fits best in a scenario where there is a detailed straight line flow,
> and you can define your tasks in finely grained reusable pieces ("Commands"
> in the Chain vocabulary) that can be assembled into customized sequences for
> each task.  Chain fits worst when you are trying to use it as a control
> architecture for a workflow with lots of conditional branches.  For that
> case, you might look at a state machine architecture like the one supported
> by Commons SCXML[2] instead.

<snap/>

And there are scenarios where leveraging both libraries ( [chain] and
[scxml] ) makes sense (typically by calling a command chain from
executable content within a SCXML document). Here [i] is a related
post from the archives.

-Rahul

[i] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-user&m=114375623812367&w=2