commons-user mailing list archives

From "james a. cubeta" <...@cubeta.net>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Newbie seeking basic guidance...
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 21:19:19 GMT
Bob, thanks for the reply.

I'm not using BasicDataSource at all, but maybe I should? I dunno. I
am basing my code off of one of the examples. To create my pool:

ObjectPool pool = new GenericObjectPool(null);
ConnectionFactory conFactory =
          new DriverManagerConnectionFactory(uri, dbUsername, dbPassword);
PoolableConnectionFactory factory =
          new PoolableConnectionFactory(connFactory, pool, null, null,
true, false);
Class.forName(driverClassName);
Class.forName("org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDriver");
PoolingDriver driver = (PoolingDriver)
DriverManager.getDriver("jdbc:apache:commons:dbcp:");
driver.registerPool("myPool", pool);

To use a connection:

   public Connection getConn() throws SQLException {
      return DrvierManager.getConnection("jdbc:apache:commons:dbcp:myPool");
   }

To return a connection:

   public void releaseConn(Connection c) throws SQLException {
      c.close();
   }

Perhaps I'm going about this all wrong?

James

On 12/13/06, Bob Arnott <boba@autonomy.com> wrote:
> James A. Cubeta wrote:
>
> [snipped...]
>
> > So my questions revolve around tweaking this framework for speed. I
> > guess my very first question is: Is there a way to instruct DBCP to
> > initially set up a some number of connections?
>
> When you create your pool with BasicDataSource, you can modify its behavior
> with it's properties. One of them is initialSize -
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/apidocs/org/apache/commons/dbcp/BasicDataSource.html#initialSize
>
> Perhaps this will supply the functionality you are looking for...?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Bob Arnott

James A. Cubeta