commons-user mailing list archives

From "James A. Cubeta" <jcub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Newbie seeking basic guidance...
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:33:17 GMT
Xanana,

Thanks for writing me back, and thanks for the links. I actually did
find these last week, but didn't really study them. I'll take a harder
look at them.

I am the lead developer on a custom server project that does read-only
queries from a database and delivers them to a visualization
application. The whole goal of our software is scale and speed -
queries need to be as fast as possible, and the server must be able to
deliver massive amounts of data.

I initially developed a database conduit using Hibernate, only because
someone else gave me an example and I followed it (I've never been a
hardcore DB programmer). Hibernate certainly makes coding much easier.
However, I started writing some applications to compare the speed of
Hibernate to pure JDBC, and in instances where I need to scale up,
JDBC is much faster (about 50% faster!).

My server is quite multithreaded, and I don't want to set up & tear
down DB connections all the time, so a connection pool is obviously
required. I downloaded DBCP and got a very simple example going.
However, when I incorporated it into my multithreaded tests,
performance drops.

So my questions revolve around tweaking this framework for speed. I
guess my very first question is: Is there a way to instruct DBCP to
initially set up a some number of connections?

Sorry if this is still "squishy", but I'm still trying to wrap my head
around this myself. I'll do some more reading and I'll get back with
you.

Thanks for offering your help! I really appreciate it!
James

On 12/13/06, Xanana Gusmao <gmaneNov.20.geekrunner@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> James,
>
> > If there are good "101"-level documents for DBCP on the 'net, pointers
> > would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, if no one minds the simple
> > questions, I'll post them here.
>
> I'm a newbie user to DBCP as well.
>
> I've managed to get it working after trawling the net.
>
> These diagrams were very useful for me.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/guide/classdiagrams.html
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/guide/sequencediagrams.html
>
> What questions do you have?