commons-user mailing list archives

From Travis McLeskey <t...@mac.com>
Subject How I solved "Cannot find daemon loader org/apache/commons/daemon/support/DaemonLoader"
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:42:42 GMT
Hi all,

This is a message for the archive. It'd be great if it also made it
into the project FAQ.

Apparently lots of new users of commons-daemon encounter the "Cannot
find daemon loader org/apache/commons/daemon/support/DaemonLoader"
error message from jsvc:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-October/msg04190.html
http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=113587972726649&q=raw
http://www.junlu.com/msg/47803.html
http://lists.lug.boulder.co.us/pipermail/lug/Week-of-
Mon-20051114/031029.html
http://www.irclogs.ws/freenode/tomcat/20Nov2005/1.html
http://www.irclogs.ws/freenode/tomcat/10Nov2005/2.html
http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=115900714314324&w=2
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg30457.html

I understand their frustration...I'm new to commons-daemon, and I
just spent more hours fighting the problem than I'll admit. Here was
the problem (I'm using Linux...I don't know whether this description
applies to other environments):

Even if you invoke jsvc as root and don't use the "-user" option, by
the time it tries to load the DaemonLoader class, it has reduced its
permissions level. Specifically, it has invoked the "capset" system
call to clear its CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH flag (among other flags). I
don't understand the interaction between the CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH
capacity and filesystem permissions, but I was able to make the error
message go away by making my classpath paths and all parent
directories readable (and executable, for dirs) by all.

Travis