commons-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Shirley <...@decisionsoft.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Configuration] UTF-8 encoding problem
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:38:24 GMT
On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 01:00:51AM +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 11:15 +0000, Andrew Shirley wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 11:30:07AM +0100, DECAFFMEYER MATHIEU wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am using Jakarta Configuration to manipulate some XML files.
> > >

> > > What do u suggest me to do ?
> > >
> > > Thank u for any help ! Will be greatly appreciated !
> >
> > This may be that the file isn't actually UTF-8 i.e. it contains some
> > extended ASCII characters. The usual problem in the uk is the pound
> > sign but the euro is probably a good candidate as well. I would check
> > that you are only using the standard (i.e. < 128) ascii characters.
>
> The UTF-8 encoding can handle any character at all, not just ASCII.

This is true however editing in utf8 is still not straight forward to
set up. When using xml, I would recommend restricting yourself to ASCII
(<128) and handling any other requirements as an entity, this is far
less likely to break and is more portable.

Apologies if I confused the utf8/ascii issue.

Andrew Shirley