commons-user mailing list archives

From Mark A Fortner <>
Subject Re: [VFS] File System Roots
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:07:42 GMT
Hi Mario,
Is your idea about implementing this to modify the FileSystem interface so that each file
system can return it's own roots?  I noticed that it currently returns a single root as most
Unix file systems do.

As far as the second part of the question is concerned, I implemented something simple that
checks to see what OS is being used, and then creates the appropriate FileObjects.  If you
want I can post the code to the list.  It might be useful as part of the LocalFileSystem.
 It doesn't require any native code.

I'll enter a JIRA issue outlining the basic requirements, and leave the details up to the
implementer's discretion.

----- Original Message ----
From: Mario Ivankovits <>
To: Jakarta Commons Users List <>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:51:35 AM
Subject: Re: [VFS] File System Roots

Hi Mark!
> Is there any easy way to get file system roots?
Not yet, but this is planned to implement somehow, it would be great if
you could open a JIRA ticket with it to not forget it.
The same API could/should be used to browse the network with SMB/JCIFS.

> Also, is there a way to get the equivalents of the Application, Documents, Music, Movies,
and Pictures directories on other operating systems?
No, and I don't know how to do it without native code.
I (personally) would not start developing native code stuff for VFS,
though, a rough idea could be to try to find a student for the next
Google SoC - if there is one and if no one else would start implementing
such stuff.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: