commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scxml] Is there any visualization tool ?
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:43:44 GMT
On 11/17/06, Nestor Urquiza <nestoru@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Rahul,
> I went back to the archives and I am just wondering if
> you found out if the plugin to convert from "EMF model
> for the statechart diagram" to "its SCXML document
> serialization" is going to be available for free?

<snip/>

Last I heard [1], but it will take time (few months, my speculation).

> On the other hand it is clear that we need something
> like:
>
> UML <=A=> XMI <=B=> SCXML
>
> where A=Graphical UML tool (Rational Modeler for
> example)
> and   B=XSLT
>
> The whole functionality could be accomplished thru a
> plugin made for Rational Modeler and the main task is
> just to write the XSLT part.

<snap/>

You got the plugin part right, but it should be a first-class
transformation plugin (each set of tooling has their own APIs,
Rational has a transformation API that is useful here). XSLT is going
to be fragile (not to mention tricky to begin with -- have you seen
the raw XMI ;-)

> Of course if the plugin has already be developed
> applying DRY we should just get is, use it and extend
> it if necessary (SCXML is still a Draft so some
> extensions will be necessary).

<snip/>

Agreed.

-Rahul