commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] enabling/disabling logging for var assignments
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:32:16 GMT
On 11/17/06, Nestor Urquiza <nestoru@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 11/16/06, Nestor Urquiza <nestoru@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Since it took me a while to learn about the
> > > commons-logging wrapper and current log engines I
> > will
> > > post here my results just in case someone has a
> > > similar problem in the future:
> > >
> > <snip-sample-code/>
> >
> > Thanks for posting for the archives. I prefer the
> > properties files for
> > quick configuration. See log4j manual [1] for
> > details. Please feel
> > free to post any of this on the Commons SCXML wiki.
> >

> Yes property or xml both are aditional files for the
> package I am building, and since I am forced to use a
> propietary logging package I did not want to add more
> resources ... that is why I went for setting
> programmatically Log4J.
>
> Do you have a suggestion for "where to post this
> specific logging configuration on WIKI?"

<snip/>

Post it wherever you like ;-) (as long as its in the Commons SCXML space).

If I were doing it, I'd probably post it as a link it from the
tutorials section on the HomePage [1], say as '../Tutorials/Logging'

> > The Tracer is meant to be a one-stop shop for basic
> > examples -- it
> > provides a dummy impl (that logs callbacks) for most
> > interfaces that
> > one needs while dealing with the Commons SCXML APIs.
> >
> > The warning() method comes from the SAX ErrorHandler
> > and is really
> > orthogonal to logging. Its probably best to stick
> > with JCL the way its
> > currently done.
>
> Thanks for the explanation, I need then to log to a
> separate scxml logging file the SCXML bits.
>
> Do you have a suggestion about a syntax for logging
> the information from the bits? Just as a reminder I
> used this in my code:
>
> String msg = "Var." + name + "=" + varStr;
> if( appLog.isInfoEnabled() )
>            appLog.info( msg );

<snap/>

If you want, you can open a JIRA issue [2] and optionally attach a
patch [3] so we don't forget to get this logging bit in the codebase
(and the next release).

-Rahul

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/SCXML/HomePage
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SCXML