commons-user mailing list archives

From "David Sills" <DSi...@datasourceinc.com>
Subject RE: Digester and using of java.util.Date
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:45:33 GMT
Having worked with BeanUtils before, I seem to recall that the main reason there isn't a java.util.Date
converter is that unlike java.sql.Date, it doesn't have a favored String format that is guaranteed
to convert correctly.

I was able in my previous usage to register a particular converter for java.util.Date as correctly
suggested by Henri, and it worked fine, but this is not a problem that can be solved in a
generic way, so far as I can see.

It might be useful for the future to be able to specify some configuration information for
ConvertUtils. For instance, if a date format or formats (why not go for it?) for java.util.Date
were specified (system property, directly passed in on creation, or however: I don't recall
the implementation details of ConvertUtil) perhaps it could instantiate a converter (one that
used multiple formats, perhaps, as they do in .NET). There would almost undoubtedly be more
converters that could benefit from such a mechanism, I would think.

My $0.02.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Henri Yandell [mailto:flamefew@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 3:21 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: Digester and using of java.util.Date

On 11/1/06, Zmitko, Jan <Jan.Zmitko@dresdner-bank.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´ve a question why it´s not possible to use "java.util.Date" in
> digester respectively in the digester rule file. Instead the type
> "java.sql.Date" works.

This was a fun one :)

> Can someone explain me what´s the reason?

Under the hood, Digester uses BeanUtils to do its converting. If you
look at ConvertUtilsBean
[http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/beanutils/ConvertUtilsBean.java]
and search for Date, you'll see that by default BeanUtils does not
register a converter for java.util.Date.

The other direction was resolved in BeanUtils a little while ago:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-239 but that's for
Date->String.

I've raised an issue for converting in this direction:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-255.

If it's not something you can work around, you could write a
UtilDateConverter of your own and register it with ConvertUtils for
java.util.Date (and submit to BEANUTILS-255? :) ); or follow
BEANUTILS-255 and one should hopefully be added soon. BeanUtils has
been pretty inactive, but a few of us have started digging into its
backlog of issues recently.

Hen