commons-user mailing list archives

From r...@violetshivers.com
Subject Re: String handling TagLib
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:13:39 GMT
There are a lot of these types of things available in the fmt and fn taglibs:

http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/1.1/docs/tlddocs/fmt/tld-summary.html
http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/1.1/docs/tlddocs/fn/tld-summary.html

I've used these to do all kinds of string manipulation, although sometimes
you have to be clever about how you use them to get fairly advanced
functionality.  But for your example, you can just use:

${fn:replace(text, "-", "/")}

HTH...

Aaron Freeman wrote:
> It's hard to believe there is not a commons String handling taglib where
> all
> of the functions available to a String are encapsulated in a .TLD file
> like:
>
>   <function>
>     <name>replaceAll</name>
>     <function-class>com.layerz.util.StringUtil</function-class>
>     <function-signature>String replaceAll( java.lang.String,
> java.lang.String, java.lang.String )</function-signature>
>   </function>
>
> So that you can use them in JSTL like:
>
> <c:set var="variable" value="${string:replaceAll(param.source,
> param.regex,
> param.replacement}"/>
>
> Maybe this exists and I am overlooking it?
>
> Aaron Freeman

Rick Herrick
rick@violetshivers.com

Proud member of the reality-based community

Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.--Bertrand
Russell