commons-user mailing list archives

From "Tony Cooke" <Tony.Co...@elders.com.au>
Subject [NET] FTP client object lifespan
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 05:41:06 GMT
OK. This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyway.

What is the lifespan of an FTPClient object?

OR.... Do I need to recreate the configuration information each time I
connect and disconnect?

What I plan on doing is making an application that periodically monitors
for any file changes on an ftp server. (VFS is supposed to do this but
currently doesn't. I've had a bug logged for a while now but I got tired
of waiting)

What I want to do is set up the configuration information (system type,
IP address / Host name, user ID, password, etc) for the FTPClient and
use this with my monitor, connecting, checking the file for lastModified
time and then disconnecting. This will be done every few hours or so.

I don't particularly want to have to set up the config information each
time as I'm trying to make the monitor as generic as possible to monitor
multiple ftp locations, with differing configurations. (Basically I want
to call the monitor with an FTPClient objects and it will monitor a file
specified for each object)

I know that the disconnect resets the configuration to default but I'm
wondering if there's any way to have an FTPClient object that retains it
all so I just need to connect, check the files and disconnect.

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best,

Tony