commons-user mailing list archives

From Lance Semmens <lance.semm...@marketpipe.com>
Subject RE: [net] reporting bounced emails
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:13:00 GMT
Thanks Rory, [net] looks quite lightweight compared to apache JAMES which I have been looking
at. A couple of questions:

1. The javadoc for POP3Client.retrieveMessage() states "You must not issue any commands to
the POP3 server (i.e., call any other methods) until you finish reading the message from the
returned Reader instance."

Does this mean that I have to read the entire email or can I close() the reader after I have
inspected the headers? There is also a retrieveMessageTop() but I don't know how many lines
the header will be.

2. Will messageId increase for each new email? I need some way of keeping track of which emails
I've already processed. I have considered saving processed id's or deleting processed messages
but if the id always increases I can just store the last id processed.

3. If I'm going about this the wrong way and there's an easier way of reporting bounced emails,
please sing out.

Thanks,
Lance.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rory Winston [mailto:rwinston@eircom.net]
Sent: 20 November 2006 22:38
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [OT] reporting bounced emails

[net] has a POP3 implementation - it may be too basic for your needs,
but feel free to take a look

Rory

Lance Semmens wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking to report bounced emails so I'm going to set the "Errors-To" header on
my mail then periodically poll the errors email account and report any emails with "X-Failed-Recipients"
headers. I'm looking for an open source library to help me out. Have any users on this list
had good experience with an open-source, pop3 email client library?