commons-user mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [pool] GenericKeyedObjectPool, WHEN_EXHAUSTED_BLOCK & multiple threads
Date Sun, 29 Oct 2006 01:12:06 GMT
On 10/28/06, Holger Hoffstaette <holger@wizards.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 17:15:41 +0100, Marc Carter wrote:
> > Although the wait/notify *could* be made more granular than the current
> > top-level implementation, this would only be a performance issue - the
> > current model will not block any other threads which can legitimately use
> > the GKOP.
>
> That was clear. I was thinking about adding a few performance-boosting
> things to GKOP (less granular locking via util.concurrent, Deques etc.)
> but for now I think I'll be a happy camper. It's not so much the glorified
> Map that I'm after but rather the factory-backed lifecycle model. If it
> were not for that I'd just have all threads grope around in a
> ConcurrentMap and be done. :D

The next release of pool has a KeyedObjectPool implementation that
basically uses a monitor per key. There is a "global" monitor for
accessing the the internal pool for the key but it is very briefly
held. This code has been in waiting for too long while I hoped to find
time to optimize it some more but that free time hasn't manifested
itself. I'll move to release Pool 2 with the current trunk in the next
few days.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine