commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Outputting CombinedConfiguration as XML
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:22:39 GMT
Mark Chaimungkalanont wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I have a CombinedConfiguration created from two XmlConfiguration
> objects. I want to output the combined XML of the CombinedConfiguration.
> Is this possible? Does anyone know either way?
>
> I had a look through the mail archives but seemed to have come up blank,
> and there were no obvious ways from the API that I could see.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark C

Mark,

there really seems to be no simple solution for your problem, at least
none I can see. For flat (i.e. non hierarchical configurations) the
copy() method of ConfigurationUtils could be used, but this method does
not work well for hierarchical configurations.

Your use case sounds very reasonable to me. So would you mind opening an
enhancement request in our bug tracking tool jira [1]? I think it should
be possible to somehow initialize a hierarchical configuration object
with the data of another hierarchical configuration. This would also
solve your problem.

Thanks
Oliver

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/issue-tracking.html