commons-user mailing list archives

From Jason Novotny <novo...@gridsphere.org>
Subject Re: using commons-logging in webapp w/ log4j, can't find my properties
Date Sun, 15 Oct 2006 02:09:21 GMT

    Well now I'm really at my wit's end here--

I managed to successfully put all jars into my WEB-INF/lib such that
there are no jars being used in the shared classpath of Tomcat and it
still does not work! I'm only seeing the INFO level logged in
catalina.out and debugging at INFO level for classes that I have not
selected to be logged is being logged.

I've followed the documentation to the letter-- I simply put
commons-logging-1.1.jar (knowing full well that Tomcat ships with an
older version in its bin/ directory) and log4j-1.2.11 both in my
WEB-INF/lib and then my log4.properties in my WEB-INF/classes but it's
never found unless I explicitly use the log4j PropertyConfigurator class
to set the location manually.

Furthermore, in looking at the "Using JCL diagnostics" information, I
put an updated commons-logging-1.1-api.jar in Tomcat/bin and when it
starts up I see

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.<clinit>(Bootstrap.java:53)

when starting up even though I look at the jar file and it seems its there--

[fuzzmonkey:~/Jakarta/tomcat-5.5.17/bin] novotny% jar tvf
commons-logging-api-1.1.jar | grep LogFactory
   600 Tue May 09 23:08:12 PDT 2006
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$1.class
   839 Tue May 09 23:08:12 PDT 2006
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$2.class
   900 Tue May 09 23:08:12 PDT 2006
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$3.class
  1425 Tue May 09 23:08:12 PDT 2006
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$4.class
  1277 Tue May 09 23:08:12 PDT 2006
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$5.class
 21140 Tue May 09 23:08:12 PDT 2006
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory.class
 18619 Tue May 09 23:08:12 PDT 2006
org/apache/commons/logging/impl/LogFactoryImpl.class

Does someone have even the simplest of WAR files bundled with a
commons-logging, log4j jars and properties file that they claim works
that I could test with maybe?

   Thanks, Jason