commons-user mailing list archives

From Jason Novotny <novo...@gridsphere.org>
Subject Re: using commons-logging in webapp w/ log4j, can't find my properties
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2006 19:49:50 GMT

    I think I see my problem--

My webapp first invokes a set of classes that are located in the
shared/lib classpath of Tomcat. Those classes also use commons-logging,
however there is no commons-logging jar in shared/lib alongside them, My
hunch is they make use of the commons-logging.jar located in Tomcat/bin
directory that ships with tomcat. Then it would seem that when execution
returns to my webapp, Tomcat classloading magic will just continue to
use the default logging properties and not my log4j.properties file.

    I can manually make it all work just by doing

PropertyConfigurator.configure(config.getServletContext().getRealPath("/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties"));

at the top of my servlet, so I guess this appears to the best solution
for now.

    Jason