commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] unexpected http connect
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:38:19 GMT
Hi Dmitry!
>>> when I try to create a file object with "http://www.somehost.com/",
>>> VFS fails when the host is unreachable (e.g. when not connected to
>>> internet)
>>> this is because org.apache.commons.vfs.provider.http.HttpFileSystem
>>> has a constructor that has an argument HttpClient, whereas it should
>>> be an HttpClientFactory
>>>
>> Hmmm .... I think it's a matter of taste, isn't it?
>>

> It's not. I got just the same problem! User must authorize twice at proxy server: first
when using my HttpClient, then using the HttpClient created by vfs. Certainly, there should
be a way to specify an alternative HttpClient outside.

But this is a new feature request, changing the point in time when to
connect do not solve this problem, no?

What do you mean by "must authorize twice"?
I understand how proxy server works, but you as developer have to
provide the required credentials, you can cache them in your code.
Having two HttpClient connections to the same server is not that a
problem, is it?
I am not sure if allowing a preconfigured HttpClient is a good idea, if
you use VFS as "singleton" chances are good to confuse its internal
cache if you change e.g. login data of your "outside" HttpClient.

Ciao,
Mario