commons-user mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject RE: settings log4j settings programmatically
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:39:36 GMT
Dennis Lundberg wrote on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:30 PM:

> Jesse Vitrone wrote:
>> Well, I guess the issue is that when we use log4j, we
> manually configure it, but when Commons uses log4j, it hasn't
> been manually configured by us, so I was wondering if there
> was a way for Commons Logging to pass our manual configs on
> to Log4j when Commons initializes it.
> No, I'm afraid not. Commons logging has its own configuration, but it
> does not try to pass any configuration on to the underlying logging
> implementation (log4j in your case).
>> I'm going to look into the wrapper like Jörg suggested. Any other
>> ideas?
> Jörg's idea is the way to go if you want to make changes in commons
> logging. But I still think it would be a better solution to make your
> current configuration reader/handler work seamlessly with
> log4j. If you
> can manage that then commons logging will just work.

I had the impression that Jesse's using an own logging implementation reading the Log4J configuration.
He did not say, that he just utilized Log4J. In that case he might simply configure JCL to
use Log4J. I have no idea what he really meant with "we manually configure it". It might probably
enough to reset the LogFactory after this manual configuration, so JCL will grap a new logger.

- Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message