commons-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <>
Subject Re: settings log4j settings programmatically
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:30:17 GMT
Jesse Vitrone wrote:
> Well, I guess the issue is that when we use log4j, we manually configure it, but when
Commons uses log4j, it hasn't been manually configured by us, so I was wondering if there
was a way for Commons Logging to pass our manual configs on to Log4j when Commons initializes

No, I'm afraid not. Commons logging has its own configuration, but it
does not try to pass any configuration on to the underlying logging
implementation (log4j in your case).

> I'm going to look into the wrapper like Jörg suggested.  Any other ideas?

Jörg's idea is the way to go if you want to make changes in commons
logging. But I still think it would be a better solution to make your
current configuration reader/handler work seamlessly with log4j. If you
can manage that then commons logging will just work.

Dennis Lundberg

> Thanks.
has environment dependant settings).
>> * use our framework to parse the XML and return a Properties object with the right
settings for that environment.
>> * call PropertyConfigurator.configure(props);
>> I'm trying to use Axis 1.4, which uses Commons Logging and I'm trying turn on debugging
for org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.  I'm not seeing the Axis logging when I add
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender into our config file.
>> I believe I'm having trouble because we are manually configuring Log4j, and Commons
Logging isn't finding a file (since we don't use one).  Is there a way to
programmatically configure Commons Logging so that when Axis uses Commons Logging which uses
Log4j, it gets our config?
>> Thanks in advance.
> Commons logging does not try to find configuration files for log4j. That
> job is left to log4j to do. So I guess asking on one of the mailing
> lists for would give you better results.
>  From what I can tell by your description the question you want to ask
> them is "How can we make a custom configuration handler for log4j?"

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message