commons-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: settings log4j settings programmatically
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:15:41 GMT
Jesse Vitrone wrote:
> The application I work on currently uses Log4j, we at startup, we do this:
>
> * read in xml file with log4j settings (similar to log4j.properties, but this xml has
environment dependant settings).
> * use our framework to parse the XML and return a Properties object with the right settings
for that environment.
> * call PropertyConfigurator.configure(props);
>
> I'm trying to use Axis 1.4, which uses Commons Logging and I'm trying turn on debugging
for org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.  I'm not seeing the Axis logging when I add
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender into our config file.

> I believe I'm having trouble because we are manually configuring Log4j, and Commons Logging
isn't finding a log4j.properties file (since we don't use one).  Is there a way to programmatically
configure Commons Logging so that when Axis uses Commons Logging which uses Log4j, it gets
our config?

> Thanks in advance.

Commons logging does not try to find configuration files for log4j. That
job is left to log4j to do. So I guess asking on one of the mailing
lists for logging.apache.org would give you better results.

 From what I can tell by your description the question you want to ask
them is "How can we make a custom configuration handler for log4j?"

--
Dennis Lundberg