commons-user mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [net] Release Candidate for 2.0
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 02:01:03 GMT
Rory Winston wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have done some work on a JDK 5.0 branch of Commons::Net. This may form
> the basis of a 2.0 release. Releases for earlier JDKs can continue along
> the 1.x branch. The major changes in the 2.0 branch are:
>
> * FTPS (SSL/TLS) support has been added
> * FTPClient doesnt extend TelnetClient any longer
> * The build now uses Maven 2
> * [net] is now standalone - no external dependencies outside the JDK itself
> * One new FTP parser (Netware) has been added, and the MVS parser has
> been heavily updated
> * A mini "FTP-only" jar (~ 90k) is available for clients who just need
> FTP functionality
>
> A full list of changes can be found here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/site/changes-report.html
>
> I have made the distribution (*unsigned* as yet) available for inspection:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/
>
> And the site is available:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/site/
>
> Some more docs are yet to be added. Any feedback appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Rory

Say, Rory, I notice that there are several classes that were deprecated several
years ago, with a notice that they would be removed in 2.0.  I think it would be
good to keep this promise and remove these before release as their presence only
causes confusion.

FTPFileListParser
FTPFileListParserImpl
DefaultFTPFileListParser

Additionally there are several deprecated methods in FTPClient, some of which
take params of the above classes.  These methods should also be removed.

Steve