commons-user mailing list archives

From Jesse Vitrone <jessevitr...@yahoo.com>
Subject settings log4j settings programmatically
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:52:00 GMT
The application I work on currently uses Log4j, we at startup, we do this:

* read in xml file with log4j settings (similar to log4j.properties, but this xml has environment
dependant settings).
* use our framework to parse the XML and return a Properties object with the right settings
for that environment.
* call PropertyConfigurator.configure(props);

I'm trying to use Axis 1.4, which uses Commons Logging and I'm trying turn on debugging for
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.  I'm not seeing the Axis logging when I add org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender
into our config file.

I believe I'm having trouble because we are manually configuring Log4j, and Commons Logging
isn't finding a log4j.properties file (since we don't use one).  Is there a way to programmatically
configure Commons Logging so that when Axis uses Commons Logging which uses Log4j, it gets
our config?

Thanks in advance.