commons-user mailing list archives

From Huertas Fernández, José Luis <>
Subject [collections] Problem with buffer serialization (posible bug?)
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:59:11 GMT
Hi all, I'm having problems with serialization/deserialization of a Buffer. My idea is to implement
a persistent queue using the UnboundedFifoBuffer (well, I want synchronized access, so I use
SynchronizedBuffer too):

private Buffer queue = BufferUtils.synchronizedBuffer(new UnboundedFifoBuffer());

When I serialize the queue to disk an it has elements, all works ok, but when I serialize
an empty queue I have some problems when I create a new object using the serialized file(BTW,
I'm using XStream 1.1.3 to produce the XML).

  <collection class="org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.UnboundedFifoBuffer" serialization="custom">

  <lock class="org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.SynchronizedBuffer" reference=".."/>

When I deserialize the queue it has a 'buffer' with size 1 (with null content), 'tail' and
'head' fields are 0 (they are declared transient). So, when I try to add a new object to the
queue, the sentence:

Object[] tmp = new Object[((buffer.length - 1) * 2) + 1];

Is executed in the add() method to increase the buffer length, but the buffer remains with
the same size! (buffer.length = 1 --> (1 - 1) * 2 + 1 = 1). So, the object is added and
when the tail is going to be incremented, it is reset to 0!!

    private int increment(int index) {

        if (index >= buffer.length) {

            index = 0;

        return index;

So it is impossible to add new elements after an empty queue has been serialized / deserialized.

I have solved it just not saving empty queues but deleting the file instead, but I wanted
to write to the list to know if this is a bug in the UnboundedFifoBuffer or maybe is caused
by the way Xtream serializes (but I don't think so).

Thanks in advance,

Jose Luis.