commons-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin Cummings" <Kevin.Cummi...@cs.oag.state.tx.us>
Subject Re: [commons-ftp] newbie qs. can I simply set FTPClient.setFileType(FTP.BINARY_FILE_TYPE)?
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:18:41 GMT
I don't believe that is the problem. I thought just as you do that
transferring ASCII data in BINARY mode should work because the ASCII
character range is within the binary range, and when I used windows ftp
command to send an ASCII file in BIN mode I was able to download the
same file in BIN mode and then open it, but that does not work for my
automated FTP code. Basically, I would end up with a file that was the
correct size, i.e. the file on the FTP server matched that of the file I
sent but when I opened the file in a text editor it was essentially
empty. If I opened the file in a BINARY aware editor like EditPlus it
would open in BINARY data view and the file was basically full of
spaces. What causes the problem is a bit of a mystery, but I was able to
find some hints online about how to write code to make a best guess as
to a files contents and then set the transfer mode that way. Also, if
the Commons FTP library has an AUTO mode you can try using that so it
will transfer the file in the correct mode.

Kevin Cummings
IT/Systems Development
Child Support Division
Texas Office of the Attorney General
Email: kevin.cummings@cs.oag.state.tx.us
Phone: (512) 460-6421
Fax: (512) 460-6800

>>> Anil Philip <goodnewsforyou@yahoo.com> 8/24/2006 10:09 AM >>>

Is it because of the cr-lf problem between DOS-Unix?
For example, if I send across the jpg in a html file,
and it was set as ascii, will it not display properly?
I know for certain that audio files were not playing
properly because I did not realize I had to
setFileType to binary.
-
Anil

--- Kevin Cummings <Kevin.Cummings@cs.oag.state.tx.us>