commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [commons-net ftp] how to ftp a zipped file and unzip it at the other end?
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 07:31:00 GMT
Hi Anil!
> Thank you - I think the ssh option is interesting. I
> could be mistaken but it strikes me that it would have
> the downside of allowing the user to wander all over
> the machine if he decided to manually try it
Yep, if you have the login for an account which allows ssh the user can
explore the whole machine.
There are descriptions out there to run ssh in an chroot environment
which will solve this, but if I remember correctly they require a
patched sshd.

If there is a http server running on the machine you might also trigger
the unpack through an cgi-bin script, though, then you might have
problems with user permissions as this cgi-bin runs with the configured
http-server user-/group-id.

If applicable I'd go the crontab/daemon way. You can scan your
directories once per minute, should not be too hard for the machine as
the directory scan will surely be done in memory (fs-cache) - a simple
bash script will do the job. Just my 0.02€ ;-)

Ciao,
Mario