commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [commons-net ftp] how to ftp a zipped file and unzip it at the other end?
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:45:36 GMT
Hi Anil!
> Thank you for replying.
> How do I upload and unzip?

As far as I know there is no way to unzip on the remote server through ftp.

But you have some options:

1) install a crontab/daemon (on the remote server) which looks for new
zip files and unpack them (A marker file might help here e.g.
filename.zip.ok to determine if the upload has finished and was ok)
2) use rsh/ssh to execute a command after upload on the remote server
which will unpack the file then
3) install a "logout" trigger on your ftp server and see if there are
new files to unpack (I have never done this myself and dont know if this
works with your ftp server)

Each of them have their own adventures to win ;-)
I hope this helps a little bit find the direction you want to go.

Ciao,
Mario