commons-user mailing list archives

From "Boerger, Matthew" <mboerge...@decommunications.com>
Subject [NET] TelnetClient How to Send Control Character
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:26:47 GMT
I am trying to convert an existig project to rely on the
net.telnet.TelnetClient class, but I am hitting a major roadblock, b/c I
cannot figure out how to send an arbitrary control character (actually,
right now, I'd be happy to learn how to send BREAK (243)).

However from what I can see of the code, it looks to me like it may be
impossible to do this without changing the telnet package code.

It appears to me, that the package-visible-only class Telnet
automatically escapes all IAC characters sent by TelnetClient.  The
Telnet class has protected methods for sending the control sequences
defined in TelnetCommand, but (with the exception of AYT) TelnetClient
doesn't implement any public or protected methods to provide access to
these. Even if it did, BREAK is not one of the commands defined in
TelnetCommand. Am I missing some other class that would enable me to
cause a BREAK, or other unsupported Control Characters to be sent
unescaped.

Many of the devices my project interacts with will not begin interaction
without an initial BREAK command, so it seems like maybe the capability
is there and I'm just missing it.  Nonetheless, I have not found any
reference to the issue in the last 2 years of mailing list archives, or
any of the articles about Commons Net I've found on the web. Notably,
the question came up in August 2004 on the AppletTalk.com message board,
but was never answered. Maybe it will have a better chance on this
board.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Matt.

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the individual
or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary
and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail message. The contents
do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent that it relates to their official
business.