commons-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [commons-logging-api] 1.1 POM not deployed at iblibio?
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:24:38 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 23:58 +0200, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> robert burrell donkin wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> any volunteers...?
>>>
>>> - robert
>> I can do it. We only need to agree on a suitable place in SVN where we
>> can store it.
>>

> I'm currently working on the two securitymanager-related bugs we
> introduced into logging in the last release; these cause problems for
> people running code in applets and similar restricted environments. A
> unit test that demonstrates the problem has already been committed (and
> fails).
>
> Once that is done, I think we should get a 1.1.1 release out with that
> plus the fixed maven poms; having all the dependencies declared
> mandatory is rather unpleasant. Plus junit should be scope=test of
> course.

I don't think that we can fix the current pom for commons-logging
completely. What we can do is publish a pom especially for
commons-logging-api, that people can use as their dependency.

> Regarding the place for the pom.xml, can't we just put it in the trunk
> directory? Of course we need to comment it, so people don't think it can
> be used to *build* jcl.

Sounds good. If we call it commons-logging-api.pom then nobody will
think of actually using it to build commons-logging.

> And by the way, the new nightly-build system is currently set up to use
> maven1; that needs to be fixed to use ant instead I think. AFAIK, the
> maven1 project.xml just creates the site.

Yep, Maven is only working OK for the site for commons-logging. It can
compile things, but it won't compile everything.

> Oh, and can we get rid of all that ${pom.artifactId.substring(8)} stuff?
> It's confusing, and I don't see the benefits as this project isn't going
> to change its name. Just putting "logging" in there would be so much
> clearer.

I don't know the history for that, by I think it has something to do
with meaning to use a common parent that every component could inherit
from. That idea has been rejected, so I see no reason for having these,
other than making it easy to copy-and-paste stuff from other components
project.xml files.

> Regards,
>
> Simon

Dennis Lundberg