commons-user mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Is JXPath used and/or loved
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:14:32 GMT
Hmmm....

It has been a while, but last time we checked it out it had
bugs-a-plenty when compared to something like Xalan for various XPath
expressions.

Performance of recent Xalan versions (including that behind Java 5's
built-in XPath implementation) sucks for many XPath use cases as they
assume you're going to work a long time on each document without
changing it, i.e. the XSLT use case.  We therefore have to stick with
Xalan 2.1.0 for such cases, but last I checked it still handled more
XPath expressions correctly than JXPath, Jaxen, etc.

I'd love to see someone actually produce a highly standards compliant
XPath library for Java that worked well against a "live" DOM, i.e.
returned original DOM nodes and allowed changes to the DOM between XPath
executions without penalty.

For all I know, Saxon may now provide this by implementing the new JAXP
XPath stuff.  For the longest time it was all but impossible to get
"live", DOM nodes back from it's XPath API, but I assume that has
changed.  That leaves questions about the penalty for changing the DOM,
of course.