commons-user mailing list archives

From "Ramesh V L" <>
Subject FTPClient 's listNames() and listFiles() methods HANGS !!!
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:26:13 GMT
  I am using Jakarta Commons Net 1.4.1 API to download some files from the FTP Server. The
logic is that we are connecting to the FTP Server, changing to a directory, getting the list
of all the files in that directory and downloading only the latest file based on the file
The method [ listNames() or listFiles() ] is usually taking around 30-50 seconds to get a
list of all files from a directory. Sometimes (which is not predictable), the program hangs
while getting this list of files.

 Is there a solution to the problem ?
 Is there an alternative for these methods ?
 Please reply soon since the solution is badly required.

 Thanks in advance,

 Ramesh V L