commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Beanutils] Determine type of bean field
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 20:54:20 GMT

> On Thu, June 1, 2006 4:43 pm, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> >> Have you tried:
> >>
> >> ((List)fieldValues).toArray(new String[0])
> >>
> >> which offers control over the runtime type of the returned array, here
> >> an array of Strings?
> >

> > That's part of the equation, but you also have to cast the overall
> result:
> >
> > (String[]) ((List)fieldValues).toArray(new String[0])
> >
> > -Rahul
>
> Ok, I'm with you so far... but what if you don't know the type of the
> target array until runtime?  I need to dynamically determine the element
> type of the target array, then construct a new array instance to pass to
> toArray() here.  I'm messing around right now, but haven't stumbled on the
> right answer yet...

I imagine you would have to synthesize the class for "array of Foo", and
then ask it for a newInstance() to create the calling argument ... check
methods in the java.util.Arrays class for useful ways to do that.

Of course, you won't be able to cast the actual result instance (defaults to
Object[]) if you don't know the type at compile time.

Craig